Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mum and Dads chorizos

Got a phone call from Dad, he needed some help to tie the pork sausages up. These are not any ordinary sausages, they are mum and dads spanish chorizos. 

We have grown up with them, my son loves them, Isabel loves them, everybody loves them. The mince is mixed with paprika, garlic, salt and white wine, left overnight and then put into the casings.

Mum was in bed, she didn't get much sleep and had to work later that day, and the chorizos needed tying and hanging up. We were half way through eating our lunch at home when he rang, so we progressed our lunch to dads shed.


After a long working life, Dads hands aren't the best at tying fiddly string, he sections up the sausages and I tie string, lots of string! I really enjoyed spending time with him, he reminisced about doing this with his mother in Spain when he was a kid. Now he has retired we see a lot more of him, and I loved that my girls were there too, participating in a family tradition.

Brett is still on time off work, and he came half way through to help. It took us nearly three hours. They will hang here to dry out a bit, and Dad will put them in the smoke house for a couple of days.







This is a pork leg in salt, a familiar sight from my childhood too, only on a smaller scale. Dad used to have an old bath full of salt in his shed for salting pork. This will end up delicious proscuitto, Mum has some pancetta on the go too.



I brought home one sausage and some loose mince. We were having chicken wings for tea, so I stuffed some of them with the mince. I hung up the lone sausage in the kitchen to dry out and froze the rest. The flavour was amazing with the chicken. I freakin love the taste of this stuff, I wish you could smell it, taste it even, it really is the best!



Do you have favourite food traditions in your family? I'd love to hear about them.

 


11 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post. Not only do I love chorizo, but I love that your family is still making these products themselves, that you are spending time with your father (I love my dad to bits and love spending time with him) and your own children are now being part of it too. You are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Yummmmo

    no family traditions here.. would love to make my own chirizo!!!! how delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. delicious yes! But not so good for the waistline.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love chorizos! I think it is fabulous that you family makes these all from scratch.

    We don't really have many family food traditions. My mothers side is Scottish and I immensely dislike black pudding and the like no matter how much they try to feed me it. My husbands family do have a food tradition though. It is spaghetti. His Grandfather was Sicilian and the recipe has been passed down through the family. It is a recipe that only comes out on special occasions.

    I found you through IBOT, and am a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Dad were actually talking about black pudding when we were tying up the chorizos. I thought it was Scottish. Thanks for the follow, I have done the same :)

      Delete
  4. OH my food heaven, Chorizo is lovely and those sausages look divine.

    When I was a kid my Grandad had a huge vegetable garden, I would spend entire summers helping him (among other things) pickle onions and beetroot. The smell of boiling beetroot was never a pleasant one, but it was still a nice tradition

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love chorizo! What a wonrful family heritage to have!

    Thanks for linking to IBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's fabulous. I'm very impressed! Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great memory there and even if I am not a fan of chorizo (very conservative eater here) your dad has made a wonderful tradition there for all to share! Thanks for linking up today. Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chorizo is so good, and I've been disappointed since I moved to California because I can't find any good chorizo, like I used to get in Sydney! I wish I'd learned to make them from scratch. That's a delicious family tradition ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a wonderful tradition to watch and learn from!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...