Friday, July 13, 2012

Grandmas delicate cake

This recipe is not actually my grandmas. It's what it is named as in the Rendalsham Primary School centenary recipe book, published in 1982. It has Jan Harveys name as the contributor, so I suppose it's her grandmas cake, who ever she is. I recently bought raffle tickets at the local IGA. It was a fundraiser for the school, and I mentioned the book to the lady selling the tickets. She said she had the book at home too, and being a chef by trade, she still referred to it, because it was such a handy book. I didn't think anyone else would have a copy after all these years, I picked up mine at a garage sale, and I've had it for donkeys. It's almost fallen to bits.

I made this cake earlier in the week, I always make cake. Surprisingly Isabel likes it, I didn't put any icing on it, and that's usually all she eats of a piece of cake. But she ate the lot. I put caster sugar on it and poured orange juice over the top when it was still hot.


Grandmas Delicate Cake


1 cup sugar
125 gr butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups SR Flour
1/2 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar. 
Add eggs, then flour alternately with milk. 
Bake in a moderate oven for approx. 40 mins.

Your own flavourings may be added eg- orange juice instead of milk, or 2 Tblsp cocoa after leaving out 2 Tblsp of flour. 
A nice topping for plain cake -sprinkle while hot with castor sugar and squeeze over lemon juice or top with cinnamon and sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. This looks lovely and simple. My kind of recipe. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to sharing my garden photos with you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like simple cakes, I don't have time to make extravagant cakes especially when Isabel wants to get in and help. It would great to host your garden photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...