Monday, September 8, 2014

Chermoula spice mix

I've never before had so many spices in my pantry. I am loving learning how to use them and all the different spice blends there are from all over the world. Not to mention all the delicious food I've been cooking up, and inevitably enjoying the heck out of tasting. 



One spice mix I love is Chermoula. There are plenty of different versions around, but with basically the same spices, in varying amounts.

This is one that I have used to bake fish. It works. It's awesome, it's delicious, and will totally have you wanting to lick the plate. It would also be great with just about any other meat you want to whack it on, with or without the yogurt.

You will need:

500 grams to 1 kilo of fish fillets(I used hoki, also known as blue grenadier)
1/2 cup greek or natural yogurt

Chermoula paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 brown onion, finely chopped
60 mls of lemon juice
4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander or parsley, or a mix of both
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
pinch cayenne pepper, optional
salt and pepper

Process all together to a paste, or near enough.

Using half a cup of paste, mix with half a cup of greek yogurt.

Spread all over fish in a baking dish and marinate for 15 minutes.

Cover with foil and bake at 190C for 20 - 30 minutes depending on how thick your fish fillets are. 

Serve it up and enjoy!


You can refrigerate or freeze the leftover paste and rub it on steak or chicken on another night.
I have used the leftover paste in a red lentil soup before too, which worked out very well.

This is the first time I tried cauliflower rice. I didn't mind it. I grated half a cauliflower, you could use a food processor, then spread the cauli in a single layer on a tray and baked for 15 minutes at 200C, stirring and turning once halfway through.


Do you have spices in your pantry?

Are you a coriander fan? I love the stuff!


11 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I fan of very spicy foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of chermoula - not a huge fan of coriander, I prefer parsley. I really want to try cauliflower rice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loads of spices and always love trying new ways to use them. Coriander is my fave and I have loads of it growing. I'm hoping to get seeds soon to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little embarrassed to say I've not heard of Chermoula... it looks and sounds like it would taste awesome. Like Toni, I'm not a huge fan of coriander either, however I will give it a go ♥ Thanks Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinned!! Your recipes so often have us pegged. I love it. And, I was going to say that we don't use a lot of spices due to salicylate and nightshade issues, but we have all of these spices in the pantry. Probably shouldn't cause of salicylate and nightshade problems but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me a hot spicy dish but don't use the many spices I have in my cupboard...I'm a coriander fan and always order dishes that have it when I'm out and about! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally trying this out - looks and sounds delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, that looks absolutely yummy! I can feel my mouth watering. I don't have many herbs in my kitchen cupboards, but your picture makes me want to go out and buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love this but I would have to use chicken!!
    My food is so bland at the moment as it is easier to add stuff to taste when it is cooked.
    I am loving dried chilli!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...