Thursday, October 3, 2013

Gardening is hard work

I've been highly motivated in the garden the past week. We have ivy growing through parts of the garden, and I'm getting stuck in ripping it out from the edges.

When we first bought the block, and started putting in garden beds there was no sign of the ivy anywhere. It just started to grow, mainly in this area. My guess it was here to start with and just grew back after we got here. 
I can see the edging! I'd love to get more white gravel for this area.

Before I'd finished the right side of the path

After, looking much better.

I garden for two days straight and then had a rest day. My poor old bum, leg and back muscles weren't used to it. I was sore! But I was so happy to be able to see some progress, to be able to see the garden edging again.
My third trailer full, kickin' ass

I got stuck in over the weekend as well. I wasn't as sore thank goodness, if anything, besides the garden looking better, I am going to be way more toned than I have in years!

Boggy did have a go at helping me on Saturday morning, but I got sick of the moaning and told him to let me do it myself, it was much easier than listen to him carry on. He drank whiskey and watched the footy grand final with our neighbour.  

It annoyed the hell out of me listening to him go on, especially after I had filled up the trailer by myself with no problems earlier in the week. Never met anyone so allergic to hard work!

I went down to the hardware shop and spent $20 on 'Impatient' and 'Begonia' seedling punnets for my newly weeded garden edging on Monday. My reward. I hope the snails don't find them. I have been reluctant to use snail pellets as I still like to let the chooks out for a roam. 

The chooks absolutely loved scratching around in the weeded dirt too, they were going crazy finding bugs. It was funny to watch. I'll be thinking of those bugs and well trying to forget, when we eat those eggs this week.


I gave the garden a good drink of seasol too, I put it through the sprinkler system, easy. Well it was easy this time, I tried earlier in the week and got bitten by a bull ant while I tried to undo the irrigation hose connection. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it was going to, the pain went away not long after I put calamine lotion on it, that's all I had. The garden was very stinky with the seasol coming out the sprinklers.


16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're going to be rewarded for all that hard work with a beautiful garden this summer!! My mum is always telling me that gardening is great for burning calories - maybe she's right, lol!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Mowing the lawn I have discovered is too. The garden is looking much nicer with the edges cleaned up and some of the ivy gone.

      Delete
  2. I love having a nice looking yard - I just hate gardening! Recently we chopped down two gum trees, I cannot believe the difference it has made in regard to yard cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few gum trees, they do drop a lot of mess.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks so cozy and peaceful. Love the tyre swing and the bench. Gardening for two days straight?! I suddenly feel very lazy by comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, long weekend here in Qld so going to get stuck into it for three days. Must admit I agree with you about the aches and pains...and the complaints! I get my 14yo twin boys to do some digging for me and they don't last as long as I do. We women are tough :) Your paths look great - same things I will be working on. Cheers, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job, you sound like my mum and I, when we want to get something done we want it done NOW - and often it's quickest to do it ourselves! We are seasol addicts here, smelly stuff but does a great job. I hope you rested those limbs and had a drink or two yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did sneak away to the bottlo for myself later in the day! I deserved it.
      It's fine when I'm motivated and actually start, it's hard to stop when I see the results :)

      Delete
  6. No need for the gym when you're carting around three trailor loads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do love gardening. Nothing quite like it in terms of feeling like you have achieved a lot and got a great work out at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is looking good. What a big job! We've weeded and are getting ready to plant in the next week or so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still a fair bit to do, I'll get there. I've just poisoned the other edges so they will be looking good in a week or two, and the roses are starting to bloom, which always makes me happy :)

      Delete
  9. Your garden is so pretty! Mine is suffering from drought conditions. I'm eager to learn a bit more about gardening. And one day hope to have a vegetable patch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of hard work but well done on doing it all by yourself! You have a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Rita. I always say don't look too closely, but then it's like crafting, no one knows where the mistakes(weeds and ugly bits) are unless you point them out!

      Delete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...