Friday, March 20, 2015

Sports day preparations

I turned up at 3:15 Thursday arvo last week, to pick up Izzy from school. I could hear the war cries of school kids, practising their songs for sports day. 

It was loud! 

I could just make out what they were yelling chanting. What I could make out was the word 'banksia'. Izzys team!

There is nothing like hearing the joined chants of a team song, to bring a feeling of pride and belonging, a feeling that swells in the middle of your gut. I couldn't see her, but I knew Izzy would have been there, practicing along with her team mates. I hope she was excited, and happy. She seemed to be when I mentioned it to her when she came out of class that day. They each had a piece of coloured paper, coordinating with their respective team colours.


 Banksia war cry 1

Banksia, we are the best
Banksia, will beat the rest
Banksia, we're fast in sprints
Tabloid games and long distance
Banksia, will be on top
Banksia, will never stop

B-A-N-K-S-I-A

BANKSIA WHOOO

Banksia war cry 2

Running down the sprint lane,
In first position,
We are the best team in the competition,
We run strong, jump long
Listen to our mighty song

B-A-N-K-S-I-A

BANKSIA WHOOO


Sports day is not for a week, Izzy is in the red team. If they keep up the loud chanting on sports day, I think I may need a panadol and a lay down afterwards, considering there will be three teams altogether yelling chanting at the same time! Come to think of it, she might too. I hate to think about the teachers. I wonder whether or not they look forward to sports day each year!

Whatever happens, I will be cheering on team Banksia, quietly though, with fingers crossed hoping they win the day!  Moreover, I hope Izzy has fun and is proud of her team mates, no matter how they go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...