Friday, March 27, 2015

Ant's Redgum Gallery

My place in time #36 - One kilometre from my house


I am ashamed to say, this is one of those place that I really should have been to, way before now. It is usually the places that we see everyday, the local attractions, that we should support, but don't.

I am so glad I got myself off the couch and went to have a look.


Ant's Redgum Gallery is situated on Williams Road in Millicent. I was interested to find out the building originally started life as an engineering shed, owned by the McCourt family. It was then home to a roller skating rink and squash courts. I can't remember this, but I do remember when it was Bondy's second hand bazaar, that's what I would have called it. After Bondy died, the building was bought by a local business woman and used as a place of business and held markets on a Sunday.

Ant and Hat Martin now own it and have made it their home, studio and gallery.

His work is phenomenal and has taken him to Adelaide to do commissioned works on three occasions. He has carved wood sculptures made from old trees, in Brighton, Victoria Square and the Glover playground in North Adelaide. A real achievement. The all have plaques with his name, and he proudly says you don't get them unless "you're really good or dead!".

He's just really good at what he does. I was blown away by Ant's wood work and the detailed work that he does.









I learnt something about feng shui, and this frog is supposed to have three legs. His name is Jin Chan, and is supposed to bring fortune. Hat says it's not working for them yet, as they would love to have more visitors to the gallery.



Here Ant is putting the finishing touches on his latest piece, The Lion. It is just amazing to think that this was just a huge tree trunk to start with.





Help! I'm stuck!

3 comments:

  1. What amazing talent. I hope they get more visitors too. The work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that's amazing! So talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wooden sculptures !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...