Saturday, December 1, 2012

Broad Bean dip

Broad beans are at their best at the moment, to use when they are young and fresh. Mum recently gave me some from her garden and I made this salad. A few days ago my sister in law gave me some more, yeah, I know, I must have 'give me your broad beans' written on my forehead! A reader mentioned broad bean dip when commenting, so I've decided to give that a go. I loved it. I loved it even better with home made lavash and mums preserved olives too.


Usually I have just boiled them with other veggies(boring!) or cooked them and mixed in fried onion, garlic and bacon, which isn't too bad. Brett loves broad beans, Izzy wont touch them, but altogether she's off her vegies at the moment anyway. She will eat them in salads like coleslaw, bean salads and she doesn't mind cucumber and tomatoes, and will eat corn cobs. Give her a raw carrot or frozen peas and she's happy as larry, but boil any veggie and she won't have a bar of it, even mash spud.

 
400 grams podded broad beans
1 small clove garlic, crushed
2 Tblsp lemon juice
1 tspn ground cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

Cook beans until tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water when draining. Run beans under cold water until cool. If they are big or older beans you may have to peel them.

Blend(I used a stick blender) beans, cooking liquid, garlic, lemon juice and cumin until smooth. Gradually add the oil while blending and add salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and some chopped parsley. 







8 comments:

  1. You're so sweet :) That dip looks great. Yum! Is lavash easy to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alicia, that looks great. might give that one a go. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia, this sounds delish! I've never been sure what to do with broad beans, but I love a good dip! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm....broad beans....don't know if I've ever heard of them. Will have to investigate if they are available here in the USA. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...