Thursday, June 13, 2019

Fungi of the Mt Burr forest

In an attempt to get out into beautiful nature, I visited the Mt Burr forest last week. This patch of forest is only about 8km from my home.

I was looking for the elusive ghost mushrooms which glow in the dark at night. I did find a few, but they were a little worse for wear, but in hindsight I still should have taken photos of them! Darn hindsight! I did capture lots of other interesting specimens of fungi on the forest floor.

Ghost mushrooms are quite the drawcard in our area, with self and tour guided night walks through the forest near Mount Gambier. It has featured on The Living Room on TEN, and as recent as this week, being visited by Cosi for South Aussie with Cosi on Channel 9. We did the self guided tour last year as a family, and it is worth rugging up for. Don't forget your torch!

The forest is so peaceful during the day, the echoing chirp of birds and the crackling of the forest underfoot. Looking forward to bringing the kids back during the night, to see if we can see any of the glow in the dark ghost mushies.
















10 comments:

  1. Nice photos. There is a Finnish artist who makes photos out of fungi and other forest foraged things. You should check her out. Can't think of the name but she's quite famous and her work is beautiful. I did not know about Ghost mushrooms - will google (if you eat them do you turn into a ghost too?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ate them you probably might or at least find yourself with a very sore belly in hospital!

      Delete
  2. I love these. There's something about the colours and the textures of fungi that make them irresistable to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they have their own season to come out and shine. I also love that I can get out in nature and appreciate them while they are there.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! Mushrooms are always photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thank you Shiju. There are so photogenic aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful set of photo-memories you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photographs Alicia! I adore getting out in nature and love to photograph it too! :-) #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some fabulous finds! It's so interesting to see what you can find when you look around a little. Thanks for sharing these lovelies with us.
    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...