Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cumquat and Kaffir Lime Marmalade


Mum offered me some cumquats. Along with the deal were a few kaffir limes and leaves. People are always giving her stuff. 


I am always up for a challenge and love learning and trying new things. After much deliberation and surfing of the gastronomic net, I opted for marmalade. Never made that before, now I have five jars of toast tantalising gold. 

I am enjoying a tea spoon of it in my black tea as I type, delish. 


Cumquat and Kaffir Lime Marmalade

1 kg cumquats
5 kaffir limes 
3 kaffir lime leaves
1 litre of water
900 grams sugar

Slice cumquats and limes very thinly into a large pot, collecting and keeping the seeds in a cup. Finely slice the leaves and chuck them in the pot too.

Tip the litre of water over cumquats, cover and leave to soak overnight. Fill the cup of seeds with boiling water and leave overnight too.

Strain the liquid from the seeds into the pot, it will be like jelly. Bring the pot to a gentle simmer and leave until the skins are soft, about 30-45 minutes, depending on how thick your slices are.

Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, turn up the heat a little and gently boil for about 30-45 minutes, stirring often. Place jars in the oven at 150 degrees to sterilise them now.

To test if the jam is ready, place a small amount on a cold saucer(I put it in the freezer beforehand), if it is gelling(like jam) then it is ready. You should be able to run your finger through it without it running back into one blob, if not keep boiling and test again after 10 minutes. It should be ready now, the marmalade will thicken up when it is cold.

When it is ready pour into hot jars and seal. Be careful, I use a dry tea towel to hold the jar and a ladle to pour the jam in. 


Ways I will be enjoying my marmalade
  • on toast(no brainer)
  • in black tea
  • in marinades for pork and chicken
  • in sauces for fish
  • salad dressings
  • swirled in yogurt
  • in cakes and puddings
  • glazes for cakes
  • with cream cheese





3 comments:

  1. You make the yummiest things! I'd love to try making this, maybe with our blood oranges this year as we don't grow cumquats :) You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blood orange marmalade sounds great! Aaaw shucks thanks ;), I had to do something with them, and I quite like trying something new :)

      Delete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...