The first night Margi made a delicious camp oven apricot chicken and Brett and I cooked chicken and lamb in the weber on Friday night for dinner.
Bonnie and Ben were responsible for lunch on Friday and made damper hotdogs on the campfire. Bonnie did good, they hit the spot after a morning of rain.
2 cups SR Flour
30 grams butter or margarine
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
Rub butter into flour with fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour in milk and mix until you have a soft dough.
Divide dough into six portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a rectangle. Place hotdog and one end of the rectangle and then roll up to encase the hotdog. Brush dough with egg.
Place onto a hotplate over camp fire, turning several times to cook dough.
Enjoy with some tomato sauce.
To change this recipe up a bit, you could
- add a little cheese to the dough
- spread some caramelised onion on dough before wrapping hotdog
- spread a little mustard on the dough before you wrap the hotdog
- lay some bacon on the dough before wrapping hotdog
- instead of a hotdog, use a cheese kransky or kabana sticks