Monday, September 15, 2014

Beetroot relish


I am a total sucker for those marked down bags of produce at the supermarket. A bag of beets for $3? No, nothing absolutely crazy about that! I'll take one! 

I love trying out something new. A cooking challenge. A new taste sensation.

You came to the right place if you want too much information, I peed red for a day after scoffing the beets I roasted. Bloody delicious! Chop into chunks(about 3cm), smother in oil, salt and pepper and roast(190C) for about 20 minutes. Yu-umee!

I also made this relish. Great on burgers, and great as a side at your next barbie. Barbecue weather is beating on the door. Can't wait.



Beetroot Relish
4 cups of grated beetroot(about 5-6 beets)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons salt

Add grated beetroot, sugar and vinegar into a saucepan.
Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and mix comes to the boil.
Simmer for 25 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
Stir through salt and spoon into clean hot jars, that have been sterilised in the oven at 190C for 15 minutes.


Do you love beets? 

What's your 'must have' on the menu, when you BBQ?

I have an awesome burger recipe tomorrow, you should check it out. So tasty. Perfect for the barbie, a hamburger or just rissoles for dinner. 

25 comments:

  1. I love beetroot - in dip, relish or on burgers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so now I am totally after some more to make DIP! Sounds delish!

      Delete
  2. My Husband would love this! Great job to have made your thrifty find into something so useful and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had planted some now, good thing is they should be going cheap now. Mum has some just about ready. Just about time to raid her garden ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I laughed when I read about what happened after you ate the beetroot! A lovely read to start my day and week. I love beetroot relish, and like Lydia, the dip as well. Have a fabulous week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great week too Leanda. I hope to peeing red a bit more, so yummy :)

      Delete
  4. I love beetroot and I've got a veggie garden full! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like beetroot, but I've only ever eaten the tinned variety because its one of those things I'm too scared to cook incase I stuff it up. I didnt realise it was so easy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been on the tinned stuff too. I have preserved themself once. Sometimes it pays to buy fresh and in season! Just buy yourself some disposable gloves at the same time!

      Delete
  6. I love the pun!! "beating at the door". Please tell me it was intentional!!

    Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. No it wasn't intentional. I am slow on the uptake, glad you got a kick out of it though :D

      Delete
  7. this sounds like a great match with hamburgers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius! I'm also a sucker for the bulk buy. I bought 8kg of apples & 6kg of pears from Harris farm the other day lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow...that looks yummy and so very simple to make. Like you, I can't go past a bargain either and buy a lot of my fruit and veg when they are on special in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a sucker of the bag of fruit with the $3 sticker on it.

      Delete
  10. Oh yum.. I remember panicking in the bathroom after eating too much of my homemade beetroot dip once... haha.

    This looks so good. Caramelised onions are must have at a BBQ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently made caramelised onions, for a flatbread covering. It was so yum! I totally consider it for a barbie :) I was nodding along knowingly after I'd flushed the dunny! That roasted beetroot was great!

      Delete
  11. Hubby isn't a fan and mum used to bottle them as a kid and we'd have at bbqs but I now love the stuff but don't have any!! You bargain hunter you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be cheap as, real soon, keep your eye out. Buy disposable gloves at the same time though for peeling them. You could probably use onions instead of beetroot for a great onion relish, hubby might like that. There won't be as much juice so will be quicker to make :)

      Delete
  12. I love the combination of colors, beautiful textures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE burgers! I eat way too many during the summer myself.
    Thanks for hosting...Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the beetroot relish. I roast beets with a bit of brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to bring out that extra sweetness, and I reckon served with goats cheese is a great combo. I didn't know about your link-up (being a bit on the slow side of bloggy hops). Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just can't do beetroot!! Everyone else in my house loves it!!
    Your relish looks delish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...