Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lemon butter


Lemon butter or lemon curd, whatever you want to call it, is one of my childhood faves. I could just eat this stuff by the spoonful, straight from the jar.

I love getting free lemons. I love getting free anything, but my favourite is fresh produce that I can make something out of. Something to cook with to make delicious food.

You can substitute the lemon rind and juice, for any other citrus, like oranges or lime.
This recipe will make three small jars. Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water, then place in a 160C oven for 10 minutes, removing just before you place the hot lemon butter in them.


Lemon Butter

3 lemons

1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175 gr butter

Finely grate the rind from the lemons, making sure not to get too much of the white pith just under the skin.

Juice the lemons, then sieve to get rid of the pulp and pips.

Place the juice, rind and sugar in a medium saucepan, on a low temperature. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the eggs and butter, continue to stir until the butter has melted.

Turn the heat up to a simmer and stir until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
Place hot lemon curd into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Ways to use your lemon butter -
  • mix with yogurt, mascarpone cheese, or cream cheese for a tart filling
  • on toast
  • on pancakes
  • a glaze for a cake
  • spoonfuls straight from the jar when no one is looking
  • thinned down for an easy lemon sauce. Add in herbs, chilli, ginger, garlic etc.

This is how I used some! You will need -

A pack of 2, unfilled sponges
300 mls of cream, whipped with a half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 small jar of lemon butter

Cut each sponge in half. Spread the bottom layer with lemon butter, then spread with some whipped cream. Place the other half of sponge on top. Repeat layering the cake like this. 

Place the last, and top section of cake.

Mix about two teaspoons of lemon butter with the remaining cream, just so it is swirled through.

Place a thin layer of the lemon cream on the outside of the entire cake. This will ensure the crumbs are held in place. Spread the rest of the cream evenly over the outside of the cake. 

I made some decorations on the top with lemon butter. Decorate it how ever you would like. You could use strawberries, toasted almond slivers, coconut or grated chocolate for example.

Have you tried lemon butter?
What homemade goodness do you remember loving as a kid?

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, a childhood favourite of mine too! My grandma made the best lemon butter ever. I have never made it myself...maybe I should give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, yum, yum! I love lemon button on scones! That cake looks delightful. Hope you're doing well xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could demolish all three of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this as a child. Just scored a bag of lemons from a friend yesterday - lemon butter seems a must. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried lemon butter before actually. The combination of sourness with the muted tones of butter never sat right with me before. Plus I'm not really a huge fan of the tangy style tarts. But this recipe is definitely making me want to try it out for myself! And it sounds like such a versatile thing to use in a myriad of other desserts and sweets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...