Thursday, June 19, 2014

Two condiments for an Indian meal

Last weekend we lobbed at my sister in laws for an Indian potluck. As usual I get ambitious and take the whole deal, meat, veggies and the condiments. 

I arrived with two tandoori chickens, mixed vegetables and the accompanying bells and whistles to any Indian feast, chutney and raita.

I'd only had real takeaway Indian food a few weeks before. What I know is, Indian food is delicious. I also know everyone left the potluck as full as googs. Some people squeezed in dessert, I don't know how they managed it. I know there was a lot of moaning and groaning after that point about how full they were. Some even stopped drinking(sacrilege, I know) because they were so full. 

I know I was the designated driver, so I wasn't drinking after the vodka, mango and ginger welcoming cocktail(traditional Indian so I was told). How could I refuse. Oh, and that glass of white wine. 

I didn't go dessert, but I know I woke up still full the next morning. Two mandarins did me for breaky.

 Indian Pineapple Chutney
1 x 825 gram can of pineapple pieces in natural juice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon sultanas
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon cornflour

Drain can of pineapple, keeping the juice.
Heat vegetable oil, add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add pineapple pieces, cumin and coriander. Fry for 5 minutes.
Add pineapple juice, sultanas, salt, sugar,and vinegar and heat until simmering.
Mix water with cornflour. Add to chutney until it thickens.
Place chutney in serving dish, or warm sterilised jar, and cool.


Indian Raita
1 cup  greek yoghurt
1 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
2 teaspoons chopped spring onion
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Mix all together. Season with salt. Place in a serving dish and chill.


Help! I'm stuck!

Create Bake Make
Flogging the blog with Grace at With Some Grace

8 comments:

  1. I like the sound of both, but I think the raita is is must try! Yu-um!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't do Indian much, but that pineappple chutney sounds great! Will bookmark for a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this pineapple chutney it looks superb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it has been years since we last had Indian. I love the look of your pineapple chutney… yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Indian I have ever had was in Fiji!! We buy the coles premade curry and rice which is surprisingly delicious. I love the look of your condiments. Will make a note to invite you to any pot luck dinner I have!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh we love to have Indian for dinner with my bother-in-law and sister-in-law! You can be guaranteed that I'll be making these at our next dinner party! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...