Monday, May 27, 2013

Donuts



Izzy loves getting a donut from the bakery. Ones with icing, usually chocolate, with sprinkles on top. 

During the week she whined at me as we drove past the bakery, I had no money in my purse. I said no. With more whining coming from the back seat, I said we would make some at home, hoping to hell we had the ingredients. She didn't let me forget either, reminding me we were making donuts when we walked in the door, bugger it.

It's been a little while since I made these ones, I have it hand written in my almost falling to bits, book of recipes. Lucky for me we did have everything, it doesn't require too much of the extraordinary, but some nicer jam on my part wouldn't have gone astray.

The only jam we had was something I made up a couple of years ago, all still good, but not very tasty. Crabapple and muntrie berry. It's ok, but not up there with strawberry or something equally as yummy.

Not sure whether she would go a donut with jam in the middle, we are not big jam eaters, I made some plain ones, with a hole cut out the middle. If I had icing sugar, dammit, I would have iced some when they cooled and added sprinkles. Another day.

Either way it was a bugger the diet day, they are freakin' deeeelicious. Better still Izzy was happy.


1 1/2 cups SR Flour
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
jam of choice

Rub margarine into flour, stir through sugar.
Beat egg and milk together, then add to flour mix. Combine into a dough.
Roll out to a 1 centimetre thickness and cut into rounds, I used a 6.5 cm cookie cutter.
Put a teaspoon of jam in the centre, dampen edges and press another round on top.
Deep fry until brown. Drain.
Roll in cinnamon sugar(half a cup of caster sugar with a tablespoon of cinnamon mixed in)





8 comments:

  1. These look amazing!! I am with Izzy, there is nothing better than a choc donut with sprinkles!! A donut is on my list for when the baby is born and I can eat them again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Put in the paper, in lieu of flowers, send donuts!!

      Delete
  2. You are a good mummy, making more than donuts - making great memories too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy liked them. She even requested I make more tonight, I had one of them too! Rotten child :D I can imagine I will be making them for grandchildren too one day :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I HAVE to try those. They look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made donuts once long ago...you've inspired me to give it another try :)
    Thanks for hosting ~ have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...