Monday, April 8, 2013

It's footy season again!

If you live in the southern states, you would be well aware that the 2013 AFL footy season has begun. This past weekend, the second round of weekly games were played. For the second week in a row, I have sat down and watched the Port Power game, all of it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm excited about their season, excited to see the new talent(more about that later, wink..wink).

While Collingwood is and always will be my one and only, I do have a soft spot for Port. After all, I am a South Australian who loves the Magpies, Port Adelaide was my favourite SANFL team. Port Power happens to be my hubbys team too, or should I say, is still his favourite team. After their dismal embarrassing grand final loss several years ago and their poor performance since, he was ready to disown them.

Summer is supposed to inherit his Port support, like I claimed Izzy for the Maggies. She did have a little Port jumper when she was about 3 months old, but we(or he) has failed to buy her any Port paraphernalia, you know, the scarf, the beany. Gotta do something about that. Izzy is all kitted out with a Collingwood guernsey, beany and scarf. There has even been talk of going to a Port game when we go to Adelaide soon. Dunno how that is going to go with two small kids! I am not sure about how much footy we will actually see (coz u know I won't be trying to catch a perv of the new talent!).

Port have started the 2013 season amazingly well, it is good to see. However the teams they have played aren't the best and I fear after the fourth round they may find it tough, and lose their place near the top of the ladder. One can only hope that an early run of wins will give them a boost to keep playing like champions. 

One player that is already marking himself as a Port legend is Jay Schulz. After the gutsy and controversial goal on the line last week, and the goal this week that put Port in the front in the second quarter. The team never looked back, beating the Giants by a shit load ( that would translate into about 8-9 goals).
Chad Wingard
img cred


The dynamics between Jake Neade and Chad Wingard were exciting to watch in the third quarter, just bloody football magic to be exact. I am so bloody glad I witnessed that. Thank god  for channel seven broadcasting that game! There is no Foxtel in this house, and with the promise that 7, will play every SA game, I am hoping to hell they play the Showdown next weekend or there is going to be a HUGE hissy fit in this household!! From me!! For those not in the know, the Showdown is the game between the Adelaide Crows and Port Power. I hope to Christ the Power get it right up the Crows and win! 
Jake Neade
Img cred
Lastly down to the (h.. hmm) new talent. It's the dark horse that appears in the last quarter for Port in both games. Rookie Kane Mitchell, with his Daniel Day Lewis(circa 1989) hair do. It has me and Brett asking "Who is this guy?". Well I went looking and found this photo, ah blur blah blah blur blur!!! Lol. God damn!! I just like Port Power more and more!
23 year olds aren't meant to look this good. Are they?
New bonds(james bond!!) man? Move over Pat Rafter!
Crikey!!
Img cred

14 comments:

  1. Hey you! - You're getting a little to close to my crumpet blogging turf but a big thank you for introducing me to Rookie Kane Mitchell. What a way to start the week. Giddy up! AFL is so much kinder to the eye than NRL. You actually sound like you know something about the game too.
    Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I not share! I know enough to get by :)

      Delete
  2. Now that is pleasant on the eyes!
    Big Dockers fan here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen or heard much about the dockers this year. Good luck for your season :)

      Delete
  3. I can tell from this post you love your footy ... but I still love you. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Footy head here. I'm a Brisbane Lions supporter. My ex is a Richmond supporter. The kids are one of each. Glad to have footy back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really getting into this footy this year :)

      Delete
  5. I vowed to take more of an interest in Rugby League for my wedding almost 20 years ago. I may need to renew my vows not that we are in Perth and change that to AFL after seeing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee, thanks for the perve Alicia! I still have no idea about AFL, as a Kiwi born, I'm only fluent in union, but I do find it a fascinating game. I wish you a happy season xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get rugby as much as you wouldn't get AFL. A perve is universal though! ;)

      Delete
  7. Every now and then the cultural difference between the U.S and Australia comes through. I have NO idea what "footy" season is. However... I can DEFINITELY get on board with Mr. Twenty-Three-Year- Old. No cultural difference there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us aussies like to shorten just about everything with our slang. It is just short for football :)

      Delete
  8. You gave me a laugh this morning with the term "footy" and your comments about the photos ;)

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...