Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Vanilla Slice

Brett loves vanilla slice. There's a bakery in Heywood that he often stops at to get some, when he goes through in his truck, on the way to Portland. It's something he buys at markets too, when it's on offer. I'm a sucker for jelly slice.

He shoved a piece of paper in front of me, and asked if we needed anything, he had printed a recipe off the net. He was fully intending to make it himself, although admitted he might need some help. I thought then that it would be a lot of help, if he reads a recipe like he reads instructions for putting things together.

I thought I would take it upon myself to make it on Sunday morning, he'd had a few the night before, and I wasn't sure when he would be out of bed. It was an early morning for me, the kids were awake at six.

He was very happy when he ventured out at 9 am, to find it already made, and setting in the fridge. We had some after dinner, it was goooooood.  He'll be taking it with him to work everyday this week, if it lasts that long!

What's your favourite indulgence?


Mmmmm :)


Vanilla Slice

2 sheets puff pastry
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups cream
2 - 2 1/2 cups milk (I only used 2)
1 tsp vanilla

Icing
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp butter (I used margarine)
1 tsp vanilla
Hot water

Place puff pastry on lined oven tray. Prick with a fork and bake for 10 - 15 mins at 220.
Put sugar, custard powder and cream into saucepan and stir over a medium heat until it starts to thicken.
Add vanilla and milk 1/2 a cup at at time and whisk continuously until the custard is thick.
Let everything cool slightly.
Place in a 22cm square tin, pastry, custard, pastry then icing.
Refridgerate. 

Can be eaten 3 hours after, but best after 12 hours. I used a slice tray and cut the pastry to fit, if you don't have a 22cm square.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. My husband also likes vanilla slice so maybe I will venture to make it for him !
    Popping over from With Some Grace.
    Have a great day - love, hugs and positive energy.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks absolutely delish!!! Will have to try and make this one, for sure!!
    Thanks for linking up! See you next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting :)Definitely see you next week.

      Delete
  3. I am drooling just looking at that photo of your vanilla slice! Am definitely going to try that recipe out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes as good as it looks! You will love it.

      Delete
  4. Oh my. An all time favourite! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! And I love vanilla!! Might have to try this!

    Visiting from Sunday Sweeties link up.

    - Jaime
    mrsmamapanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...