Monday, July 2, 2012

Pavlova

I had egg whites left over from the quiche, they've been sitting in the fridge for the last few days. Instead of letting them go to waste I made pavlovaaaaaaa(sung oprah style). Yuuuuum!! I love pav.

I used to think making pav was rocket science, but it's not. I had a go for xmas day last year, I made two, with duck eggs. Mum bakes stuff for the kitchen at the Millicent show in November and a friend gave her a box full! So she palmed some off on me. I used berries on one, and mango, strawberries, kiwi and passionfruit on the other. They turned out great, and went over well. Who doesn't like pav? I had some at my next door neighbours once, it had peppermint crisp on it, so I bought a couple of chocolate bars for this pav, because it's cheaper and I haven't got the money to spend on expensive fruit at the moment.


I have old hand beaters, I'm pretty sure they used to be mums. Even she was smart enough to buy the electric ones! I like them, and they do the job, a little bit more effort than turning on a switch though.

This recipe comes from The Beachport Pony Club family favourites, and old recipe book I picked up at a garage sale god knows when.




Pavlova


4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vinegar

Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar and beat until all dissolved. Add vinegar and beat for another minute. Cover an oven slide with alfoil and lightly grease. Spread mixture in a circle shape, moulding the centre lower than the edges. Bake at 150 for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave in oven until cold. Top with whipped cream and fruit.


I just slapped the cream on top, and then the chocolate. I got a meat mallet and bashed the closed packets to break up the bars. 

It was yummy, but I much prefer fruit

Izzy loved the pav mix
  

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Seriously, who doesn't like a pav? I've always been a bit scared to try making one, but it doesn't sound that bad. I'm going to have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds great. I love pav, but I also prefer the fruit as thats might fav part. I have never made one from scratch. only with a store bought base. Might have to give it a go one day. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for so much visiting, and even more so for leaving a friendly comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...